Djoker secures all time 'weeks at No.1' record, surpassing Federer
Add Reply
Whisper
2021-02-21 11:42:19 UTC
Sky is the limit?
Pelle Svanslös
2021-02-21 11:52:15 UTC
"The worst #1 ever".
--
“We need to acknowledge he let us down. He went down a path he shouldn’t
have, and we shouldn’t have followed him. We shouldn’t have listened to
him, and we can’t let that happen ever again.”
-- Nikki Haley
Whisper
2021-02-21 12:46:20 UTC
Post by Pelle Svanslös
"The worst #1 ever".
That was a brief period when he only had 2 blue chip slams.

It's like calling Nadal a slamless wonder based on his record pre 2005.
True at the time.
Pelle Svanslös
2021-02-21 13:55:24 UTC
Post by Whisper
Post by Pelle Svanslös
"The worst #1 ever".
That was a brief period when he only had 2 blue chip slams.
Er, he had 7 or 8 blue chip slams at that point. Not only that, but he
was playing the best tennis of his life. BOAT tennis. Had he not chjoked
that RG final, 2015 would have been his CYGS year.
--
Every boy and every gal
That’s born into this world alive

-- W. S. Gilbert
Whisper
Don't be dumb. I would have been referring to that 2 bc slam period.
Pelle Svanslös
2021-02-21 14:01:08 UTC
Post by Pelle Svanslös
Post by Whisper
Post by Pelle Svanslös
"The worst #1 ever".
That was a brief period when he only had 2 blue chip slams.
Er, he had 7 or 8 blue chip slams at that point. Not only that, but he
was playing the best tennis of his life. BOAT tennis. Had he not
chjoked that RG final, 2015 would have been his CYGS year.
Don't be dumb.  I would have been referring to that 2 bc slam period.
They're all BC slams.

And of course if you say a thing like "worst #1 ever" that should say
something about what it was on court at the time as well. But it was as
far from what serious observers saw at the time as it's possible.

-- W. S. Gilbert
Pelle Svanslös
2021-02-22 11:03:29 UTC
Post by Pelle Svanslös
Post by Pelle Svanslös
Post by Whisper
Post by Pelle Svanslös
"The worst #1 ever".
That was a brief period when he only had 2 blue chip slams.
Er, he had 7 or 8 blue chip slams at that point. Not only that, but
he was playing the best tennis of his life. BOAT tennis. Had he not
chjoked that RG final, 2015 would have been his CYGS year.
Don't be dumb.  I would have been referring to that 2 bc slam period.
They're all BC slams.
And of course if you say a thing like "worst #1 ever" that should say
something about what it was on court at the time as well. But it was
as far from what serious observers saw at the time as it's possible.
Looks like that comment really hurt you at the time & you can't forget?
Nah. You know how it is. The exceptionally daft statements are memorable.
-- Nikki Haley
The Iceberg
2021-02-22 18:38:26 UTC
Post by Pelle Svanslös
Post by Pelle Svanslös
Post by Whisper
Post by Pelle Svanslös
"The worst #1 ever".
That was a brief period when he only had 2 blue chip slams.
Er, he had 7 or 8 blue chip slams at that point. Not only that, but
he was playing the best tennis of his life. BOAT tennis. Had he not
chjoked that RG final, 2015 would have been his CYGS year.
Don't be dumb. I would have been referring to that 2 bc slam period.
They're all BC slams.
And of course if you say a thing like "worst #1 ever" that should say
something about what it was on court at the time as well. But it was as
far from what serious observers saw at the time as it's possible.
Looks like that comment really hurt you at the time & you can't forget?
If I say Tsitsipas is a slamless wonder today, but goes on to win 10,
will you point to this 'slamless wonder' post every time he wins 1?
That's what I mean by dumb.
Pelle aka Sakari explains it all!
jlia...@gmail.com
OK, Court has 4 extra AO and SWilliams has 2 extra W and 1 USO in their slam records, so which 1 is preferred? 3 blue chip vs 4 non blue chip?
*skriptis
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
On Sunday, February 21, 2021 at 10:52:17 PM UTC+11, Pelle Svanslös wrote:> "The worst #1 ever". > > -- > “We need to acknowledge he let us down. He went down a path he shouldn’t > have, and we shouldn’t have followed him. We shouldn’t have listened to > him, and we can’t let that happen ever again.” > -- Nikki HaleyDjoker's win may put some justification to his ranking but 2020 ranking in WTA and ATP were giving points to the tournaments that were cancelled to 2019 winners. WTA ranking is more stupid and how could Barty be ranked No.1 when her most notable performance up to now is AO QF for the whole calendar year.
Fake news, fake US president, fake tennis rankings.

That's the world right now.
--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
jlia...@gmail.com
2021-02-21 13:54:07 UTC
Post by Pelle Svanslös
"The worst #1 ever".
--
“We need to acknowledge he let us down. He went down a path he shouldn’t
have, and we shouldn’t have followed him. We shouldn’t have listened to
him, and we can’t let that happen ever again.”
-- Nikki Haley
Djoker's win may put some justification to his ranking but 2020 ranking in WTA and ATP were giving points to the tournaments that were cancelled to 2019 winners. WTA ranking is more stupid and how could Barty be ranked No.1 when her most notable performance up to now is AO QF for the whole calendar year.
Nobody ever considered Barty a real No.1. Only made 1 slam final in her
life beating nobodies. Osaka has made 4 & won them all.
Osaka would not be the YE No.1 for her performance last year. She won USO in 2020. Osaka is good when she was the hunter but not the hunted one. Let see how she defend the title when that roll around later in the year. The depth in the field probably means nobody will dominate the women's field.
StephenJ
2021-02-21 14:05:31 UTC
Post by Whisper
Sky is the limit?
Nadal won't ever catch him, so looks like joker will hold this record for a LONG time to come.
Whisper
2021-02-21 14:08:49 UTC
Post by StephenJ
Post by Whisper
Sky is the limit?
Nadal won't ever catch him, so looks like joker will hold this record for a LONG time to come.
He's prob cert to get his 7th yr-end No.1.

That's big. Goes past Pete.
*skriptis
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
On 22/02/2021 1:05 am, StephenJ wrote:> On Sunday, February 21, 2021 at 5:42:25 AM UTC-6, Whisper wrote:>> Sky is the limit?> > Nadal won't ever catch him, so looks like joker will hold this record for a LONG time to come.> He's prob cert to get his 7th yr-end No.1.That's big. Goes past Pete.
Djokovic and records:

Weeks at #1: DONE
Years at #1: likely
Slams: has a chance
7543: unlikely
--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
Whisper
2021-02-21 20:54:38 UTC
Post by *skriptis
On 22/02/2021 1:05 am, StephenJ wrote:> On Sunday, February 21, 2021 at 5:42:25 AM UTC-6, Whisper wrote:>> Sky is the limit?> > Nadal won't ever catch him, so looks like joker will hold this record for a LONG time to come.> He's prob cert to get his 7th yr-end No.1.That's big. Goes past Pete.
Weeks at #1: DONE
Years at #1: likely
Slams: has a chance
7543: unlikely
He's also got non-calendar slam, & seriously if he can win FO he looks
good enough to even win calendar slam this yr. Just needs to peak 3
times in next 6 months. Anyway let's wait for him to win FO before
discussing that : )

He's talking about playing into his 40's. Prob not winning slams at 40,
but looking at how fit & dedicated he is looks reasonable he can be a
top 3 slam contender til 37 or 38. That's 20 more slams he can enter at
this level. If he wins 1 in 3 on average that gets him to about 25
slams. That would also get him the raw 7543 king title.

Nadal prob can't last as long as Djoker given bulky physique & more
prone to exhaustion v younger players, like v Tsitsipas.

Federer has remarkable longevity too, but he simply isn't as good as
Rafa/Djoker so explains why his slam win rate nosedived when these 2 hit
their straps. Federer had a great start as he had a long gap between
Sampras/Agassi and Nadal/Djokovic where he won 80% of his slams with no
opposition.

Anyway it all looks set up for Djoker to dominate in the short term at
least. None of the young guns look like they can seriously challenge
him in slams, they'll need to get a lot better. Nadal's path to more
slams is getting narrowed down to just FO, you wonder how long he can be
the best on clay? Maybe til 40 who knows? That could give him 5 more
FO (18, wow) & also about 25 slams.

Federer likely bowed out of the race so it's just Djoker v Nadal to see
who will end up all time slam king, prob never to be broken record. Hard
to pick a winner given Rafa clay dominance, but if he starts losing at
FO then Djoker big fave?
heyg...@gmail.com
Funny, I was thinking how Serena is a decoy in terms of 25 and it very well could be Djok who gets there instead. The thing about Djok is that he is the best clutch player right now. That alone can win you a slam or two even when you are being generally outplayed (and especially when you're competing against players who aren't mentally the strongest.)
Whisper
2021-02-23 02:01:44 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Whisper
[...]
Yeah I think 25 is the number Djoker is ultimately aiming for, just to
be above all men & women in this ultimate slam stat.

If Wimbledon wasn't cancelled last yr & he didn't dq from USO good
chance he'd be sitting on 20 slams right now.

Having said that 7 slams is a lot even for Djoker going forward. His
short term goal is 21 while jockeying with Rafa for the lead. You'd
think he'll start feeling that ultimate pressure Serena is going through
last few yrs, & like her he will age & slow down. Good news for him it
looks like Rafa is slowing a lot quicker, so if somehow Rafa doesn't win
FO this yr he could have a nice opportunity to grab a few wins. Rafa
did win FO without dropping a set so have to keep that in mind, but
Sinner pushed him to 76 76 63. Those close sets can be easily be
reversed as Sinner gets more experience & Rafa slows even further.
Should be an interesting 6 months coming up in slam race. Maybe even
Roger produces a miracle at Wimbledon?
bob
2021-02-25 20:39:47 UTC
On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 13:01:44 +1100, Whisper
Post by Whisper
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Whisper
[...]
that's true. he was screwed out of USO and the wimbledon cancel, he'd
be the favorite. but i think 23 is the #. i don't see roger going past
21 or nadal past 22. and i don't see 23 getting passed in my lifetime.
bob
Whisper
2021-02-25 22:36:45 UTC
Post by Whisper
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Whisper
[...]
Yes seems most reasonable outcome. Probably the most historic times
we'll see in tennis so enjoy it.
*skriptis
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
If the number is indeed 23, it would have meant, or it would mean, that he would have to win 11 slams after turning not 30, but 31?

Surreal. Absurd. Surely you have to bet against it?

He won 6 after turning 31 so far, he's probably done, no?

Sampras won 1, Agassi 2, Federer 3, Nadal 5.

Look at these numbers. And you want/expect Djokovic to win 11?
--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
Whisper
2021-02-25 23:18:23 UTC
Post by *skriptis
If the number is indeed 23, it would have meant, or it would mean, that he would have to win 11 slams after turning not 30, but 31?
Surreal. Absurd. Surely you have to bet against it?
He won 6 after turning 31 so far, he's probably done, no?
Sampras won 1, Agassi 2, Federer 3, Nadal 5.
Look at these numbers. And you want/expect Djokovic to win 11?
All 3 know 1 or all of them will be the all time slam leaders so that's
incentive enough to keep going til 40 so no regrets. They will stop
when they really think they can't win a slam anymore.

Sampras quit when he won a slam but he held the record at the time so
there wasn't that incentive to keep going and win some more. Agassi
could have played on a few more yrs but he was never going to set all
time records so low incentive, not going to bust a gut for 5 more yrs to
maybe win 1 more slam, no real point.

These 3 guys will be the top 3, so just jockeying for position. Fed is
on his last lap & will drop out soon, so 2 man race. Djoker is
preparing perfectly for the challenge & has a huge mental advantage over
all the young guns. Beating him in a slam final is going to take a
Herculean effort as injury doesn't seem to slow him down much - Rafa
bob
2021-02-25 23:48:53 UTC
On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 23:54:28 +0100 (GMT+01:00), *skriptis
could be Djok who gets there instead. The thing about Djok is that he is the best clutch player right now. That alone can win you a slam or two even when you are being generally outplayed (and especially when you're competing against players who aren't mentally the strongest.)>>>>>>>>> Yeah I think 25 is the number Djoker is ultimately aiming for, just to>> be above all men & women in this ultimate slam stat.>>>> If Wimbledon wasn't cancelled last yr & he didn't dq from USO good>> chance he'd be sitting on 20 slams right now.> > that's true. he was screwed out of USO and the wimbledon cancel, he'd> be the favorite. but i think 23 is the #. i don't see roger going past> 21 or nadal past 22. and i don't see 23 getting passed in my lifetime.> Yes seems most reasonable outcome. Probably the most historic times we'll see in tennis so enjoy it.
If the number is indeed 23, it would have meant, or it would mean, that he would have to win 11 slams after turning not 30, but 31?
Surreal. Absurd. Surely you have to bet against it?
He won 6 after turning 31 so far, he's probably done, no?
Sampras won 1, Agassi 2, Federer 3, Nadal 5.
Look at these numbers. And you want/expect Djokovic to win 11?
2 things:

1. i predicted 3-5 more for djok (means 21-23)
2. 40 is the new 34ish? tom brady just won a super bowl at 43.

historically i'd agree with you, but times changed.

bob
grif
2021-02-21 14:26:26 UTC
Post by Whisper
Sky is the limit?
Nole the Great:
“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Talks about his Wolverine-like healing factor after a muscle tear

What a crazy path to the trophy: on painkillers, no practice on off days, a succession of huge hitters .. but Novak bows to no one!
bob
2021-02-22 00:17:09 UTC
On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 22:42:19 +1100, Whisper
Post by Whisper
Sky is the limit?
how many more slams does djok have in him?

i say fed has 0-1.
nads 1-2.
djok 3-5.

bob
StephenJ
In my whimsical moments, I think of joker, fed and nadal as kind of akin to lendl, edberg, and becker during the late 1980s. Edberg and Becker had more fans. Edberg, like Federer, had an elegant game with some ghostly smooth skills, talent that you just can't teach. Becker, like Nadal, had an indomitable spirit and the ability to impose his will on the court. Both of those pairs of players inspired people. Lendl, like Joker, had far fewer fans. I think it's telling that Federer mentions Becker and Edberg as big influences on him as a youth but not Lendl. Like with joker, there was a bland, mechanical robotocism to his game and a detached, unreachable personality. But many think Lendl accomplished the most of the three. We may end up thinking Joker has done the same when all is said and done.
The Iceberg
2021-02-26 13:18:53 UTC
Post by Whisper
[...]
doubt that will happen cos
a) they all so close
b) Fed broke lot of areas in the sport and brought things in to the modern era, he transcended tennis, first multi-lingual player in press conferences etc. Nadal also broke new ground by challenging/beating the unbeatable guy(Fed) and upping the game level even higher + dominating clay like no-one else ever. Djoker really just followed them, other than being a human baseboard in 2011, he hasn't offered anything new as such. He not a pioneer so to speak, that what am talking about.
Whisper
2021-02-26 13:50:44 UTC
Post by Whisper
[...]
I suppose Djoker showed that those 2 were beatable if you were mentally
tough enough to stand up to them. Looks like he has great chance of
having last laugh.
Whisper
2021-02-26 13:51:42 UTC
Post by Whisper
Post by The Iceberg
Post by Whisper
[...]
He will force people to either conclude this era was very soft, or if
not then he is the goat. Clever guy : )

reilloc
2021-02-22 17:16:31 UTC
Post by Whisper