Djokoviv vs Medvedev AO final
Add Reply
MBDunc
2021-02-20 14:54:48 UTC
I would say Medvedev is a slight favorite but Djoker has many times had his all guns blazing when things go big at AO (like 2019 AO final vs Nadal).

"official preview": https://www.atptour.com/en/news/australian-open-2021-day-14-final-preview-djokovic-medvedev
The Iceberg
2021-02-20 15:13:14 UTC
so Djoker is 4-3 h2h, beat Medvedev when they last played in Australia and has won the AO 8 times, yet somehow Medvedev is the favourite?! LOL
MBDunc
2021-02-20 15:23:17 UTC
Post by The Iceberg
Post by MBDunc
I would say Medvedev is a slight favorite but Djoker has many times had his all guns blazing when things go big at AO (like 2019 AO final vs Nadal).
"official preview": https://www.atptour.com/en/news/australian-open-2021-day-14-final-preview-djokovic-medvedev
so Djoker is 4-3 h2h, beat Medvedev when they last played in Australia and has won the AO 8 times, yet somehow Medvedev is the favourite?! LOL
Realistically it is a toss-up. Game (and age/generation) wise Medvedev should win but it is AO and Djoker....the hurdle for a title cannot be greater....)

It is like x vs Nadal in FO final. No matter how hot x has been: it is after all Nadal ffs...
*skriptis
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
On Saturday, February 20, 2021 at 5:13:17 PM UTC+2, iceberg wrote:> On Saturday, 20 February 2021 at 14:54:49 UTC, MBDunc wrote: > > I would say Medvedev is a slight favorite but Djoker has many times had his all guns blazing when things go big at AO (like 2019 AO final vs Nadal). > > > > "official preview": https://www.atptour.com/en/news/australian-open-2021-day-14-final-preview-djokovic-medvedev> so Djoker is 4-3 h2h, beat Medvedev when they last played in Australia and has won the AO 8 times, yet somehow Medvedev is the favourite?! LOLRealistically it is a toss-up. Game (and age/generation) wise Medvedev should win but it is AO and Djoker....the hurdle for a title cannot be greater....)It is like x vs Nadal in FO final. No matter how hot x has been: it is after all Nadal ffs...
Yeah but Djokovic is only cca 2/3 of Nadal's level on clay.

The numbers are scary.

Tomorrow is 21. 2. 2021.

Slams - 20 to tie slam record, 21 to surpass it. 2021 get it? Also number of players tied for slam record (2) is the month February (2). 2 is also number of Medvedev's slam finals and number of guys in tomorrow's final (2 guys).

Medvedev winning streak - 20 now and 21 if he wins tomorrow.

It's all about 21.2.2021.
--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
MBDunc
2021-02-20 17:05:23 UTC
MBDunc Wrote in message:r
[...]
Yes, again some kind of history/legacies/streaks are on stage (compare to some 1990:ies/early 2000:ies slam finals).

To be noted: Medvedev has now 12? matches winning streak over top10 players.

.mikko
Pelle Svanslös
2021-02-20 16:24:29 UTC
Post by The Iceberg
Post by MBDunc
I would say Medvedev is a slight favorite but Djoker has many times had his all guns blazing when things go big at AO (like 2019 AO final vs Nadal).
"official preview": https://www.atptour.com/en/news/australian-open-2021-day-14-final-preview-djokovic-medvedev
so Djoker is 4-3 h2h, beat Medvedev when they last played in Australia and has won the AO 8 times, yet somehow Medvedev is the favourite?! LOL
Meds leads their last three on hard 2 to 1. Although the exo win was on
a slower hard, that was a rather comprehensive pummeling. His game
matches well with Djok's. Djok also tends to be a bit of a chjoker when
it's his match to lose. I hope he's not going on court to wear the big
guy down.

It's a toss-up, but maybe a teensy weensy edge to Meds. He's already
taken Rafa to 5 sets in a final. He's got the mettle.
--
“We need to acknowledge he let us down. He went down a path he shouldn’t
have, and we shouldn’t have followed him. We shouldn’t have listened to
-- Nikki Haley
The Iceberg
Djoker is never a choker, you really are that dense, like nothing goes in, despite repeated PWNing in that previous thread. Go and get some tennis knowledge, you maroon.
Whisper
2021-02-21 10:44:11 UTC
Post by Pelle Svanslös
Post by The Iceberg
Post by MBDunc
I would say Medvedev is a slight favorite but Djoker has many times
had his all guns blazing when things go big at AO (like 2019 AO final
vs Nadal).
https://www.atptour.com/en/news/australian-open-2021-day-14-final-preview-djokovic-medvedev
so Djoker is 4-3 h2h, beat Medvedev when they last played in Australia
and has won the AO 8 times, yet somehow Medvedev is the favourite?! LOL
Meds leads their last three on hard 2 to 1. Although the exo win was on
a slower hard, that was a rather comprehensive pummeling. His game
matches well with Djok's. Djok also tends to be a bit of a chjoker when
it's his match to lose. I hope he's not going on court to wear the big
guy down.
It's a toss-up, but maybe a teensy weensy edge to Meds. He's already
taken Rafa to 5 sets in a final. He's got the mettle.
Djoker 75 62 62

Lol we really should know better I guess.

Before the final;

Djoker

AO titles 8
Slam titles 17

Medvdedev

AO titles 0
Slam titles 0

Plus Djoker was going for 3 in a row AO titles.

In hindsight it's quite dumb tipping against Djoker in AO, especially
the final where he's at max concentration. What were we thinking a
slamless wonder was fave?

I tipped Djoker, but to be fair it was by a narrow margin largely thanks
to his experience at AO and huge matches in general. Didn't expect this
kind of romp though.
StephenJ
I thought Joker would squeak by in a much closer match, but only because he appeared to be hurting. He didn't play like he was hurt tonight, LOL.
Whisper
2021-02-21 11:11:14 UTC
Post by StephenJ
Post by Whisper
Post by Pelle Svanslös
Post by The Iceberg
Post by MBDunc
[...]
Yes, the injury was the main doubt in my mind, but also Med's form & his
pretty even h2h v Djoker. But really it's not smart to not make Djoker
fave for every match until he actually loses.
Pelle Svanslös
2021-02-21 10:46:49 UTC
Post by Whisper
Post by Pelle Svanslös
Post by The Iceberg
Post by MBDunc
[...]
Nothing like hindsight.
-- Nikki Haley
PeteWasLucky
2021-02-20 17:20:17 UTC
I would say Medvedev is a slight favorite but Djoker has many times had his all guns blazing when things go big at AO (like 2019 AO final vs Nadal)."official preview": https://www.atptour.com/en/news/australian-open-2021-day-14-final-preview-djokovic-medvedev
Medved has a lot to prove before anyone can call him the favorite
in a slam final against a 17 slams champion.
I would like to see him winning this but I won't be surprised if
he loses in straight sets.
He has only one game plan, he can't volley while djok has many
options and game plans.
First Medved needs to get into the match and this requires him to
win the first set to expose djokovic age and physicalities and
even if this happens I trust the physical abilities of the top
three guys.
I liked Medved and he is intillegent person, hopefully he can win.
--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
The Iceberg
Medvedev has more than just one game plan, he totally random!
MBDunc
2021-02-20 18:10:09 UTC
Post by The Iceberg
MBDunc Wrote in message:r
[...]
If Medvedev loses the final he moves up in "best player never won a slam" -list with his 2 slam finals and YEC.

.mikko
Patrick Kehoe
A label he will not wear very long, even if he loses... :))
bob
2021-02-22 00:32:17 UTC
On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 15:55:28 -0800 (PST), Patrick Kehoe
Post by Patrick Kehoe
Post by MBDunc
Post by The Iceberg
MBDunc Wrote in message:r
[...]
agree. the most interesting RST discussion atm should be which of
medvedev/tsitsipas/thiem/zverev will be the guy getting the largest
share next 10 yrs.

bob
Whisper
2021-02-22 05:56:09 UTC
Post by Patrick Kehoe
Post by MBDunc
Post by The Iceberg
MBDunc Wrote in message:r
[...]
Thiem is 28 & imo already peaked. Zverev is a pea brain though has the
game. Tsitsipas needs to be more focussed on the game rather than
philosophizing/writing poetry. Medvedev is gangly and tires when
playing from the baseline, big guy lugging a lot of mass around.

I think the next big players will be those born this century, Sinner
looks good physically & mentally.

Fed, Rafa & Djoker were all born in the 80's. The 90's have been a
write-off talent-wise.
heyg...@gmail.com
The most mentally tough one will win the most. Though I have no idea which one that is...lol Except definitely not Zverev.
Whisper
2021-02-22 13:34:22 UTC
Post by Patrick Kehoe
Post by MBDunc
Post by The Iceberg
MBDunc Wrote in message:r
[...]
Zverev may have the best game - he is smooth not jerky like Medvedev, &
he can serve huge. Pity he has a pea size brain & small heart.

It's early days for Sinner but he looks to have fantastic talent & great
attitude.
Whisper
Yes, & he looks better because he lost to 2 all time greats.
PeteWasLucky
2021-02-20 18:14:43 UTC
This means zero game plan.
--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
MBDunc
2021-02-20 18:57:26 UTC
The Iceberg Wrote in message:r
On Saturday, 20 February 2021 at 17:20:19 UTC, PeteWasLucky wrote:> MBDunc Wrote in message:r> > I would say Medvedev is a slight favorite but Djoker has many times had his all guns blazing when things go big at AO (like 2019 AO final vs Nadal)."official preview": https://www.atptour.com/en/news/australian-open-2021-day-14-final-preview-djokovic-medvedev> Medved has a lot to prove before anyone can call him the favorite > in a slam final against a 17 slams champion. > I would like to see him winning this but I won't be surprised if > he loses in straight sets. > He has only one game plan, he can't volley while djok has many > options and game plans. > First Medved needs to get into the match and this requires him to > win the first set to expose djokovic age and physicalities and > even if this happens I trust the physical abilities of the top > three guys. > I liked Medved and he is intillegent person, hopefully he can win.Medvedev has more than just one game plan, he totally random!
This means zero game plan.
Me thinks that Medvedev has biggest tennis brains since Wilander with most effective plan b/c executions?

.mikko
PeteWasLucky
2021-02-20 19:08:55 UTC
On Saturday, February 20, 2021 at 8:14:45 PM UTC+2, PeteWasLucky wrote:> The Iceberg Wrote in message:r > > On Saturday, 20 February 2021 at 17:20:19 UTC, PeteWasLucky wrote:> MBDunc Wrote in message:r> > I would say Medvedev is a slight favorite but Djoker has many times had his all guns blazing when things go big at AO (like 2019 AO final vs Nadal)."official preview": https://www.atptour.com/en/news/australian-open-2021-day-14-final-preview-djokovic-medvedev> Medved has a lot to prove before anyone can call him the favorite > in a slam final against a 17 slams champion. > I would like to see him winning this but I won't be surprised if > he loses in straight sets. > He has only one game plan, he can't volley while djok has many > options and game plans. > First Medved needs to get into the match and this requires him to > win the first set to expose djokovic age and physicalities and > even if this happens I trust the physical abilities of the top > three guys. > I liked Medved and he is intillegent person, hopefully he can win.Medvedev has more than just one game plan, he totally random! > > This means zero game plan.Me thinks that Medvedev has biggest tennis brains since Wilander with most effective plan b/c executions?.mikko
I can't rate his tennis brains but he seems to be a high IQ individual.

Last match he played against Federer in Miami, he was dismissed in
two straight sets.
--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
Patrick Kehoe
Wilander... really... wow...
PeteWasLucky
2021-02-21 12:29:09 UTC
One game plan, straight sets, quickly dismissed as I expected.

Medved is the favorite, hahaha :)
--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Don't force laughing it's not healthy.

😂
--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
The Iceberg
2021-02-22 14:17:40 UTC
that's what I said, you just said "I won't be surprised if he loses"!
arahim
2021-02-21 03:43:11 UTC
Post by MBDunc
I would say Medvedev is a slight favorite but Djoker has many times had his all guns blazing when things go big at AO (like 2019 AO final vs Nadal).
"official preview": https://www.atptour.com/en/news/australian-open-2021-day-14-final-preview-djokovic-medvedevIts
It's almost even odds according to the bettors with Djokovic holding a very slight edge
Novak Djokovic 1.93 (50.89%)
Daniil Medvedev 2 (49.11%)

Djokovic defeated numbers 61, 64, seeds 27, 14, 6, number 114
Medvedev defeated numbers 63, 99, seed 28, number 199, seeds 7, 5

Djokovic played: one 5 setter, three 4 setters, two 3 setters
Medvedev played: one 5 setter, five 3 setters

Djokovic lost a total of 93 games
Medvedev lost 67 games
bob
2021-02-22 00:30:52 UTC
On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 06:54:48 -0800 (PST), MBDunc
Post by MBDunc
I would say Medvedev is a slight favorite
i agreed - yesterday. i also picked medvedev to win the tournament.
but like you said: "these 3 are special." djok still brings the goods.
bob
grif
2021-02-22 15:03:13 UTC
Post by MBDunc
I would say Medvedev is a slight favorite but Djoker has many times had his all guns blazing when things go big at AO (like 2019 AO final vs Nadal).
In his interview after his heavy defeat by Meds, Tsocrates had similar thoughts when speaking about the final.
https://www.atptour.com/en/news/tsitsipas-australian-open-2021-day-12-reaction

https://twitter.com/sportsbetcomau/status/1223951839445405696