Slam surface goats - Nadal, Djokovic and Tilden
Add Reply
Whisper
2021-02-21 21:32:31 UTC
Nadal - 13 - Clay

Djokovic - 12 - Hardcourt

Tilden - 10 - grass

Nice to see an ancient player clinging to an all time record : ) -
actually this one may never be broken as you'd need an 11 time Wimbledon
champ to knock it off.

Of course there are issues like there being more grass slam in the old
days, more hardcourt slams today, pro era etc, but still these are facts.
Pelle Svanslös
2021-02-22 10:57:59 UTC
Post by Whisper
Nadal - 13 - Clay
Djokovic - 12 - Hardcourt
Tilden - 10 - grass
Nice to see an ancient player clinging to an all time record : ) -
actually this one may never be broken as you'd need an 11 time Wimbledon
champ to knock it off.
Of course there are issues like there being more grass slam in the old
days, more hardcourt slams today, pro era etc, but still these are facts.
I bet even you blushed when you pressed the send-button.
--
“We need to acknowledge he let us down. He went down a path he shouldn’t
have, and we shouldn’t have followed him. We shouldn’t have listened to
-- Nikki Haley
Whisper
Facts are facts. Feelings don't change them.
jlia...@gmail.com
2021-02-22 12:15:02 UTC
Post by Pelle Svanslös
Post by Whisper
Nadal - 13 - Clay
Djokovic - 12 - Hardcourt
Tilden - 10 - grass
Nice to see an ancient player clinging to an all time record : ) -
actually this one may never be broken as you'd need an 11 time
Wimbledon champ to knock it off.
Actually that record of 10 grass court slam was already equaled by Roy Emerson because in 60s Wimbledon, USO and AO were all played on grass. and seriously
how many people actually though Emerson was the best grass court player ever? Not many.
Whisper
Thanks! I had a feeling I missed someone.
guypers
2021-02-22 13:35:49 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Whisper
Nadal - 13 - Clay
Djokovic - 12 - Hardcourt
Tilden - 10 - grass
Nice to see an ancient player clinging to an all time record : ) -
actually this one may never be broken as you'd need an 11 time
Wimbledon champ to knock it off.
Actually that record of 10 grass court slam was already equaled by Roy Emerson because in 60s Wimbledon, USO and AO were all played on grass. and seriously
how many people actually though Emerson was the best grass court player ever? Not many.
Thanks! I had a feeling I missed someone.
Yes, he can beat grandma
Court!!

*skriptis
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Nadal - 13 - ClayDjokovic - 12 - HardcourtTilden - 10 - grassNice to see an ancient player clinging to an all time record : ) - actually this one may never be broken as you'd need an 11 time Wimbledon champ to knock it off.Of course there are issues like there being more grass slam in the old days, more hardcourt slams today, pro era etc, but still these are facts.
I'm not sure Tilden is a 10-slam champion? Feels like fake news to me.

He either won more, or less.
I'll explain.

E.g. we disregard French champions before 1925 due to tournament not being international. It's a technicality because Borotra won 1924 French (closed) and then 1924 Wimbledon. So the quality of the tournament was high yet it's ignored.

Yet when Tilden wins (defends) Wimbledon in 1921 by playing just one match it is a "slam". Hmm.

And why don't we stick to ITF? They said slams started in 1924/1925. In the strictest sense, it means Tilden won 4 slams. USO 1924, 1925, 1929 and Wim 1930.

And if we count ITF World championships then he won Wim 1920, 1921 and WHCC 1921. So he won 7 slams. US was not ITF sanctioned.

If you want to give him US Championships before 1924, which were not officially majors, that's ok, but I would then ignore pre-1922 Wimbledons that had challenge round? So that's 9 majors.

And if you want, give him everything that was considered a slam, either in the past or in future. So that's 11.

4, 7, 9, 11 is the number I feel.

Maybe the best option is counting all big titles? 10 won at present day slams, 1 WHCC, 3 pro majors and 7 Davis Cup titles. So that's 21.

It makes an easy comparison with today's greats? Federer, 20 slams, 6 YEC, 1 DC, total 27.
--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
Whisper
2021-02-22 11:44:44 UTC
Post by *skriptis
[...]
Yes, but for 'man in the street' it's too complicated. They just look
at the roll & count them up.