After this AO I'm sure
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Zverev is the future. If only he was sharper mentally he's a 6+ slam champ or more.

• Thiem is turning 28 soon, I think Djokovic can beat him at FO now. Thiem was better than Djokovic at FO whilst at physical peak in the last couple of years, but since he's exiting his physical peak he will show certain weaknesses that big 3 can exploit. Even if he becomes better vs the field, which will happen too over the next couple of years, I feel he's an easier opponent for the big 3 from now on as he's older too and can't beat them by sheer physicality.

• Medvedev, tough cookie but Djokovic played smart and it's experience really that made the difference. Medvedev is a lot better than this final showed, but just like Djokovic he has issue at generating his own pace. No surprise he sucks on clay either.

• Tsitsipas, flamboyant, great, likeable but something is missing. Maybe killer instinct? I don't write him off, it's just that I don't see him dominating (yet). His groundies are also too spiny I think. Borg-like tennis but in 2020s?

• Zverev. Why isn't this guy #1 already? Great serve, great mobility, great defense, great offense, can easily generate pace of his own, can big flat and topsin. Why isn't he winning 2 slams a year?
--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
Gracchus
2021-02-21 21:29:02 UTC
He won't be the future and nothing could be worse than if he were. No fun watching some 6'6" Lurch shambling around the court hitting awkward shots. Medvedev is bad enough. Zverev is worse. Nobody but a Russian wants to see those guys dominating slams.
*skriptis
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
On Sunday, February 21, 2021 at 12:10:00 PM UTC-8, *skriptis wrote:> Zverev is the future. If only he was sharper mentally he's a 6+ slam champ or more. He won't be the future and nothing could be worse than if he were. No fun watching some 6'6" Lurch shambling around the court hitting awkward shots. Medvedev is bad enough. Zverev is worse. Nobody but a Russian wants to see those guys dominating slams.
Stop with your anti-Russian hysteria, I'm being serious here.

Zverev is not clumsy. Medvedev is, but Zverev isn't. He has a clean technique and is a wonder really.

Take a look at masters series? He already won couple of those, both on clay and HC, with equal ease, years ago and while it's something rather unimportant historically, it does tells us he's the only, or most capable guy of being dominant on a constant basis accross the surfaces.

I am almost willing to bet you that Zverev will have most weeks at #1 among the current next gen who are in top 10.

After him, it all points out to Sinner but that could be too far away to tell.

I'm not pro-Zverev, but you can't deny he seems to be the complete package.

Strange really, this AO was "A Wonderful Life" moment for me when it comes to Zverev. I just realized something that was here the whole time.
--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
The Iceberg
yes think Zverev should be #1 too, have long said he the best of his generation + he CAN beat Djoker BUT he does choke at crucial points in the slam matches which count, did just that at the AO. He is getting better though, if he improves on that yes he should be #1. Thiem has the same problem, but he's slightly more steady + he still gets knackered getting to the finals. His problem against Dimitrov was fitness, but he had 5 sets vs peak Kyrgios which is a tough one.
The Iceberg
2021-02-22 11:13:26 UTC
let me guess, you are an American?
TT
2021-02-26 17:13:50 UTC
Post by Gracchus
Post by *skriptis
Zverev is the future. If only he was sharper mentally he's a 6+ slam champ or more.
He won't be the future and nothing could be worse than if he were. No fun watching some 6'6" Lurch shambling around the court hitting awkward shots. Medvedev is bad enough. Zverev is worse. Nobody but a Russian wants to see those guys dominating slams.
Good post.
He did look very good against Djokovic though.

-

I wonder why Djokovic always wins AO (but not USO). Wonder what he does
during off-season to be always in such a shape when the year begins?
*skriptis
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Gracchus kirjoitti 21.2.2021 klo 23:29:> On Sunday, February 21, 2021 at 12:10:00 PM UTC-8, *skriptis wrote:> >> Zverev is the future. If only he was sharper mentally he's a 6+ slam champ or more.> > He won't be the future and nothing could be worse than if he were. No fun watching some 6'6" Lurch shambling around the court hitting awkward shots. Medvedev is bad enough. Zverev is worse. Nobody but a Russian wants to see those guys dominating slams.> Good post.He did look very good against Djokovic though.-I wonder why Djokovic always wins AO (but not USO). Wonder what he does during off-season to be always in such a shape when the year begins?
Do you wonder why Nadal won 4 USO to 1 AO?
That's 400% discrepancy vs Djokovic's 300% (9 AO vs 3 USO).

Nadal even more suspicious.

What does he do in between Wim and USO?
--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
Whisper
2021-02-26 22:45:59 UTC
Post by *skriptis
Gracchus kirjoitti 21.2.2021 klo 23:29:> On Sunday, February 21, 2021 at 12:10:00 PM UTC-8, *skriptis wrote:> >> Zverev is the future. If only he was sharper mentally he's a 6+ slam champ or more.> > He won't be the future and nothing could be worse than if he were. No fun watching some 6'6" Lurch shambling around the court hitting awkward shots. Medvedev is bad enough. Zverev is worse. Nobody but a Russian wants to see those guys dominating slams.> Good post.He did look very good against Djokovic though.-I wonder why Djokovic always wins AO (but not USO). Wonder what he does during off-season to be always in such a shape when the year begins?
Do you wonder why Nadal won 4 USO to 1 AO?
That's 400% discrepancy vs Djokovic's 300% (9 AO vs 3 USO).
Nadal even more suspicious.
What does he do in between Wim and USO?
I think part of it is Djoker had more success early at AO & not losing
in semis gave him more confidence. He lost 2007 USO final to Fed in
pretty close match 76 76 75, think he had set pts in 1st 2 sets, so had
a history of losing USO final off the bat which = less confidence. Also
USO is kinda end of the tennis season so not feeling as fresh & pumped
as start of the year. In January you have 4 slams ahead of you so lots
of opportunity to have a good yr. At USO you might be thinking about
saving your yr, blown chances at earlier slams etc
MBDunc
2021-02-26 20:18:56 UTC
Post by TT
Post by Gracchus
Post by *skriptis
Zverev is the future. If only he was sharper mentally he's a 6+ slam champ or more.
He won't be the future and nothing could be worse than if he were. No fun watching some 6'6" Lurch shambling around the court hitting awkward shots. Medvedev is bad enough. Zverev is worse. Nobody but a Russian wants to see those guys dominating slams.
Good post.
He did look very good against Djokovic though.
-
I wonder why Djokovic always wins AO (but not USO). Wonder what he does
during off-season to be always in such a shape when the year begins?
It is 8 finals after all (8-0, 3-5)

I think Djoker might have been slightly unlucky not to have +1/+2 extra USOs (similarly Nadal could have +1/+2 AOs).

Sometimes things just happen oddly (Like Borg never winning USO or golfer Sam Snead never winning USOpen)

.mikko
Whisper
2021-02-26 22:49:13 UTC
Post by MBDunc
Post by TT
Post by Gracchus
Post by *skriptis
Zverev is the future. If only he was sharper mentally he's a 6+ slam champ or more.
He won't be the future and nothing could be worse than if he were. No fun watching some 6'6" Lurch shambling around the court hitting awkward shots. Medvedev is bad enough. Zverev is worse. Nobody but a Russian wants to see those guys dominating slams.
Good post.
He did look very good against Djokovic though.
-
I wonder why Djokovic always wins AO (but not USO). Wonder what he does
during off-season to be always in such a shape when the year begins?
It is 8 finals after all (8-0, 3-5)
Prob 9 once we factor the default.

Yeah little unlucky - a 5 set loss to Murray in a final, Stan in god
mode and the default. The 2 4-set losses to Nadal in finals might look
odd to some, but Nadal at his best is pretty good so can't criticize
those as he was well beaten.

Biggest difference is he's pumped & positive at start of yr, bit jaded
by USO as season is over.
The Iceberg
yes agree with this summary!
bob
2021-02-27 00:37:16 UTC
On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 12:18:56 -0800 (PST), MBDunc
Post by MBDunc
Post by TT
Post by Gracchus
Post by *skriptis
Zverev is the future. If only he was sharper mentally he's a 6+ slam champ or more.
He won't be the future and nothing could be worse than if he were. No fun watching some 6'6" Lurch shambling around the court hitting awkward shots. Medvedev is bad enough. Zverev is worse. Nobody but a Russian wants to see those guys dominating slams.
Good post.
He did look very good against Djokovic though.
-
I wonder why Djokovic always wins AO (but not USO). Wonder what he does
during off-season to be always in such a shape when the year begins?
It is 8 finals after all (8-0, 3-5)
I think Djoker might have been slightly unlucky not to have +1/+2 extra USOs (similarly Nadal could have +1/+2 AOs).
what do you think about tiger? back on tour in 2022?

bob
The Iceberg
you're forgetting Andy Murray is better than Djoker at Wimbledon and the USO!
jdeluise
2021-02-27 21:20:02 UTC
Post by The Iceberg
you're forgetting Andy Murray is better than Djoker at Wimbledon and the USO!
It was nice of Fed to give Andy that Oly gold just weeks after he left
him sobbing in the grass at the real thing. Very uplifting, selfless
behavior from the Great Man, don't you think?
guypers
LOL!
bob
2021-02-28 13:28:34 UTC
Post by jdeluise
Post by The Iceberg
you're forgetting Andy Murray is better than Djoker at Wimbledon and the USO!
It was nice of Fed to give Andy that Oly gold just weeks after he left
him sobbing in the grass at the real thing. Very uplifting, selfless
behavior from the Great Man, don't you think?
very selfless. fed gave him the teardrops back too.

bob

bob
2021-02-27 00:36:22 UTC
On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 13:29:02 -0800 (PST), Gracchus
Post by Gracchus
Post by *skriptis
Zverev is the future. If only he was sharper mentally he's a 6+ slam champ or more.
He won't be the future and nothing could be worse than if he were. No fun watching some 6'6" Lurch shambling around the court hitting awkward shots. Medvedev is bad enough. Zverev is worse. Nobody but a Russian wants to see those guys dominating slams.
dunno, i kind of thought he had some raw talent nad played a very good
USO final. not korda level but still. :-)

bob
Whisper
He has pea size tennis brain & little heart, more like Dimitrov.
undecided
2021-02-21 23:45:48 UTC
Post by *skriptis
[...]
Zverev needs a serving coach. Once the server percentage goes up the rest of his game will stay up.
I will say the same for Tsitsi. His serve goes AWOL whenever he gets tight.
Medvedev has a great 1st and a very reliable 2nd, Tsitsi and Zverev need that.
Tsitsi also seems to go for low percentage inside out forehands way too often. He also moves like a moose laterally.
Medvedev shots look like hacker shots but somehow they are deep, reliable and effective.
Pelle Svanslös
2021-02-22 11:01:49 UTC
Post by undecided
Post by *skriptis
[...]
He has a deranged ball toss. It's about three meters too high. I'm
amazed that the balls don't bounce off his forehead.
--
“We need to acknowledge he let us down. He went down a path he shouldn’t
have, and we shouldn’t have followed him. We shouldn’t have listened to
-- Nikki Haley
jlia...@gmail.com
2021-02-22 11:20:01 UTC
Post by *skriptis
[...]
Thiem at the moment is probably the only guy that is physically and mentally ready to challenge the big 3, he is 28 but will still be at his physical peak in the next 5 years. He won't be an easier opponent for the big 3. In grand slams event he is the only 1 who played his best game against the big 3 and others are lagging behind in this regard.

Medvedev has a number of weaknesses that were exposed by Djokovic in the final, he does not has a net game, he does not have a transition game that can allow him to take advantage of his good shots. What is Medvedev's weakest shots slice backhand.

Tsitsipas certainly does not lack killer instinct as he showed that in the QF against Nadal. He seemingly ran out of gas against Medvedev in the semi. He was down 2 sets to Nadal but unlike Medvedev he was able to hanging in the match and improveded his level of play.

Zverev, mentally the guys is a lot calmer than a year also ago but he does not play a game suitable for his size, he is a bit too defensive and needs to be more aggressive .
The Iceberg
2021-02-22 11:37:40 UTC
Post by *skriptis
[...]
yes his serve could be better, but Zverev's game is fine vs Djoker, he beat Djoker at the O2 exo and would've beat him at this AO if he was mentally tougher, it a work in progress since he didn't even bother with slams before last year.
Medvedev also got very angry with himself and pretty much lost 1.5 sets because of that, even Murray didn't get angry like that.
It was odd cos he didn't get like that vs Nadal in the USO final, maybe it cos now he really wants to win a slam. He allegedly a clever guy so might be able to recognise that and sort it out!
bob
2021-02-26 17:34:12 UTC
On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 21:10:02 +0100 (GMT+01:00), *skriptis
Post by *skriptis
[...]
after USO last yr, i had kind of leaned that way. but now i lean
medvedev. tsi & zverev trailing him. thiem, yes, older, but everyone
is good til 35 nowadays.

bob