Visited Moscow... WOW!
Add Reply
TT
2021-05-02 11:13:06 UTC
Here are some pictures of my short holiday/business trip to Moscow.

First a couple pictures which I didn't take myself. One of the most
beautiful cities on earth really.

Kremlin:

Misty river Istra, Moscow:

Abandoned church somewhere in Russia:

-

First I arrived in the hotel, lovely place although likely seen its best
days. Shouldn't have taken the low-budget option I guess...

The hotel elevator made me feel a bit uneasy.

-

The hotel was located in beautiful suburbs of Moscow, near (local)
Hollywood:

-

Here are some shady characters at the hotel lobby...

Also met some wonderful people there, who showed me how to do 'the Slav
squat', and what to wear... Here's Igor and his lovely wife, Tatyana...

-

The Moscow suburbs, apparently, have great surroundings and playgrounds
for children to grow up.

Here was a playground nearby...

https://avatars.mds.yandex.net/get-zen_doc/3725294/pub_600eaaf1ede7353c0a5fdb80_600ed355ede7353c0ac53fac/scale_1200

With a children's treadmill...

And some young mothers...

-

So yes, children are the number one in Russia. There are lots of
activities for all ages.

https://i.chzbgr.com/full/9276603904/hAF6F2352/russia-gun-sppar-ima

'Goonies never say die!'

-

Ok, so after being settled to hotel it was time for a swift business
meeting at firms local office in Moscow...

Then we went to see the museum of Soviet Science:

-

Now it was time for sightseeing the city center. Party time!

https://i.mycdn.me/i?r=AzEPZsRbOZEKgBhR0XGMT1Rk4JGbbsPShTqfnJtZlMHv1aaKTM5SRkZCeTgDn6uOyic

-

Russian women are great!

-

The next day I had a bit of a hangover after long evening of clubbing.
But was feeling great as it was time for the highlight of the trip,
visiting the countryside.

We took a Slav bus...

The roads were a bit patchy...

There was a bathroom stop, of course...

-

The village itself was picturesque and quite charming indeed...

-

We met, again, some wonderful people there...

Took a local taxi to the beach...

Also visited the beach for the rich people, which was more tidy and
better guarded...

-

Then it was time to return home. All in all a great trip. Can't wait to
get back to Russia again!

It truly is a God's country, as the graffiti here says...

Max E
2021-05-02 13:02:16 UTC
TT schrieb am Sonntag, 2. Mai 2021 um 13:12:45 UTC+2:
Getting new instructions from you agent leader there, eh?

Max E
TT
2021-05-02 14:45:09 UTC
Post by Max E
Getting new instructions from you agent leader there, eh?
Max E
You should have watched the pics before commenting...
'Keep yappin' man'
Max E
2021-05-02 15:48:22 UTC
Post by TT
Post by Max E
Getting new instructions from you agent leader there, eh?
Max E
You should have watched the pics before commenting...
I'd never open attachments in a post from a Russian agent.

Max
bmoore
Max
bmoore
You *really* should click on some of the pix.
PeteWasLucky
2021-05-03 17:18:38 UTC
On Sunday, May 2, 2021 at 8:48:24 AM UTC-7, Max E wrote:> TT schrieb am Sonntag, 2. Mai 2021 um 16:44:46 UTC+2: > > Max E kirjoitti 2.5.2021 klo 16:02: > > > TT schrieb am Sonntag, 2. Mai 2021 um 13:12:45 UTC+2: > > >> > > > > > > Getting new instructions from you agent leader there, eh? > > > > > > > > > Max E > > > > > You should have watched the pics before commenting... > >> I'd never open attachments in a post from a Russian agent. > > > MaxYou *really* should click on some of the pix.
Of course he did and he is a Russian agent himself :)
On the other hand, I hear that Moscow itself is beautiful. I am
sure anyone can compile great album like TT's for any country in
the world.
--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
TT
2021-05-03 21:49:57 UTC
Post by PeteWasLucky
On Sunday, May 2, 2021 at 8:48:24 AM UTC-7, Max E wrote:> TT schrieb am Sonntag, 2. Mai 2021 um 16:44:46 UTC+2: > > Max E kirjoitti 2.5.2021 klo 16:02: > > > TT schrieb am Sonntag, 2. Mai 2021 um 13:12:45 UTC+2: > > >> > > > > > > Getting new instructions from you agent leader there, eh? > > > > > > > > > Max E > > > > > You should have watched the pics before commenting... > >> I'd never open attachments in a post from a Russian agent. > > > MaxYou *really* should click on some of the pix.
Yeah... wasn't expecting being outed as FSB agent based on this post.
Post by PeteWasLucky
Of course he did and he is a Russian agent himself :)
On the other hand, I hear that Moscow itself is beautiful. I am
sure anyone can compile great album like TT's for any country in
the world.
Might have trouble finding countries with nuclear submarines on the
beach though. Or 'Slav squats' in fake Adidas, which is probably not a
thing outside of Russia.

I'm sure there are other untidy countries as well... with drunks, litter
and stray dogs. Haven't been in one yet. Well, except the drunks... :)

Apparently even Moscow has lots of stray dogs which roam in packs.

I saw a picture at...
https://www.reddit.com/r/ANormalDayInRussia/

...which had a stray dog sitting in a train alone, on a seat. Apparently
some stray dogs have learnt to use the subway system, trams and trains
in Moscow. Weird stuff. There are credible articles about that as well.
Gracchus
I wonder how they carry their tickets.
The Iceberg
https://www.peopleofwalmart.com/
The Iceberg
yes after June, when we allowed to fly anywhere, going to visit Finland first and then to Russia! cool eh!
jdeluise
2021-05-07 01:40:13 UTC
:) Good post.
The Iceberg
2021-05-07 07:51:11 UTC
Post by TT
Here are some pictures of my short holiday/business trip to Moscow.
:) Good post.
is that cos you can relate?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/dec/24/alaska-homeless-deaths
Alaska has some of the highest per capita rates of homelessness and alcoholism in America.
TT
2021-05-07 12:41:10 UTC
Post by The Iceberg
Post by TT
Here are some pictures of my short holiday/business trip to Moscow.
:) Good post.
is that cos you can relate?
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/dec/24/alaska-homeless-deaths
Alaska has some of the highest per capita rates of homelessness and alcoholism in America.
It's the Russians. You can see Russia from Sarah Palin's bedroom.
--
"Harrwitz yielded the chess contest with Mr. Morphy by the advice of his
physician. If Mr. Staunton means to accept Mr. Morphy's challenge,

Illinois State Journal, 22 November 1858
jdeluise
2021-05-07 19:59:58 UTC
Post by The Iceberg
Post by TT
Here are some pictures of my short holiday/business trip to Moscow.
:) Good post.
is that cos you can relate?
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/dec/24/alaska-homeless-deaths
Alaska has some of the highest per capita rates of homelessness and alcoholism in America.
No doubt about it. Although you have to consider the population,
population density, demographics and relative isolation to have a full
picture of what that actually means.
The Iceberg
yes and the weather / daylight hours.
grif
2021-05-09 00:03:42 UTC
https://www.jacadatravel.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Russia-4.jpg
https://i.redd.it/h0g41q95fla51.jpg
https://i.redd.it/zyyck53kzrt61.jpg
-
First I arrived in the hotel, lovely place although likely seen its best days. Shouldn't have taken the low-budget option I guess...
https://www.koupoukis.gr/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/russianlife-65.jpg
The hotel elevator made me feel a bit uneasy.
https://preview.redd.it/wx4533w6ugw61.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=1efaef90359901771328dd0b9c26850a398b0d9e
-
https://i.redd.it/8nxjwqlft3s61.png
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8yN_raV0AQa3Gz.jpg:large
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/24/74/35/247435854df469136149e8554ef95352.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0f/09/e0/0f09e032297d4d99dfe55e7e81097c41.jpg
-
Here are some shady characters at the hotel lobby...
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/76/96/85/76968506b9998f385180f9a10c24e52f.jpg
https://s00.yaplakal.com/pics/pics_original/8/9/2/13587298.jpg
-
The Moscow suburbs, apparently, have great surroundings and playgrounds for children to grow up.
Here was a playground nearby...
https://avatars.mds.yandex.net/get-zen_doc/3725294/pub_600eaaf1ede7353c0a5fdb80_600ed355ede7353c0ac53fac/scale_1200
With a children's treadmill...
https://external-preview.redd.it/c4WQT2n9SAChfOQeuAT14HQlU_OP0BsYsdHNQUjbVA8.jpg?auto=webp&s=0354dc76c213d5d5fb39697b06e61aa1a0e8d378
And some young mothers...
https://warnet.ws/img/337/pod/74.jpg
-
So yes, children are the number one in Russia. There are lots of activities for all ages.
https://i.chzbgr.com/full/9276603904/hAF6F2352/russia-gun-sppar-ima
https://dam.nmhmedia.sk/image/c57df3fd-c593-4b2c-a204-85041e500911_dam-urlyzqu5p.jpg/1024/0
'Goonies never say die!'
https://banana.by/uploads/posts/2015-09/1443164444_banana.by-strah-01.jpg
-
Ok, so after being settled to hotel it was time for a swift business meeting at firms local office in Moscow...
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/86/22/1f/86221f23ce19bfc6d741e757bd739156.png
https://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/1058055/81985176.jpg
-
Now it was time for sightseeing the city center. Party time!
https://i.mycdn.me/i?r=AzEPZsRbOZEKgBhR0XGMT1Rk4JGbbsPShTqfnJtZlMHv1aaKTM5SRkZCeTgDn6uOyic
https://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/1058055/81985172.jpg
-
Russian women are great!
https://i.imgur.com/A3OCaAV.jpeg
-
The next day I had a bit of a hangover after long evening of clubbing. But was feeling great as it was time for the highlight of the trip, visiting the countryside.
We took a Slav bus...
https://kaifolog.ru/uploads/posts/2020-03/1585050395_034.jpg
The roads were a bit patchy...
https://pokrov.world/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/16-1.jpg
There was a bathroom stop, of course...
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/tfBXdG-YxBo/maxresdefault.jpg
-
The village itself was picturesque and quite charming indeed...
https://www.koupoukis.gr/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/russianlife-46.jpg
https://www.koupoukis.gr/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/russianlife-53.jpg
-
We met, again, some wonderful people there...
https://i.redd.it/xyfn6zsnh4v61.jpg
Took a local taxi to the beach...
https://runt-of-the-web.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/caged-women.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jk2RAuZFhzs/VA5dQGpfSjI/AAAAAAAAKAA/0cHODT03_7w/s1600/029424626-big.jpg
Also visited the beach for the rich people, which was more tidy and better guarded...
https://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/6411/132784960.1/0_852d6_4d3363b3_orig.jpg
-
https://antimif.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Cl8YxhxUsAAwF1n.jpg
https://www2.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news-bfi/features/andrei-tarkovsky-stalker-locations
The Iceberg
once we can go on holiday properly in June, going to visit Russia and Finland! they look cool places! :D
jdeluise
2021-05-09 17:31:38 UTC
Thanks!
grif
2021-05-09 22:11:04 UTC
Have you or Gracchus (or anyone else) read "Neuromancer" ?
Gracchus
2021-05-09 22:38:31 UTC
Not me. I've never read anything by Gibson. Not a matter of avoiding his stuff or anything, just never got around to it. I've read some of Neal Stephenson's novels though. I liked "Snow Crash" and especially "The Diamond Age."
grif
2021-05-09 23:12:25 UTC
Post by Gracchus
Post by grif
Post by jdeluise
Post by grif
https://www2.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news-bfi/features/andrei-tarkovsky-stalker-locations
Thanks!
Have you or Gracchus (or anyone else) read "Neuromancer" ?
Not me. I've never read anything by Gibson. Not a matter of avoiding his stuff or anything, just never got around to it. I've read some of Neal Stephenson's novels though. I liked "Snow Crash" and especially "The Diamond Age."
I've heard of Neal Stephenson and "Snow Crash" before in passing. Just had a quick browse on him and the titles you mentioned and I think I must have looked up "Snow Crash" in the past, but I don't know why, lol. Probably someone else mentioned that title before.

When I look at "The Diamond Age" wiki, without spoiling, I see allusions to Charles Dickens and "The Wizard of Oz" 🤔

Anyway, I started reading "Neuromancer" and it's an addictive read so far. It was between that and "Dune" (greatest sci-fi novel ever! Or so the hype goes) and I really didn't want to commit to a trilogy of fat "Dune" novels if I were to start reading the first one!
Gracchus
2021-05-10 00:35:51 UTC
Post by grif
Post by Gracchus
Post by grif
Post by jdeluise
Post by grif
https://www2.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news-bfi/features/andrei-tarkovsky-stalker-locations
Thanks!
Have you or Gracchus (or anyone else) read "Neuromancer" ?
Not me. I've never read anything by Gibson. Not a matter of avoiding his stuff or anything, just never got around to it. I've read some of Neal Stephenson's novels though. I liked "Snow Crash" and especially "The Diamond Age."
I've heard of Neal Stephenson and "Snow Crash" before in passing. Just had a quick browse on him and the titles you mentioned and I think I must have looked up "Snow Crash" in the past, but I don't know why, lol. Probably someone else mentioned that title before.
When I look at "The Diamond Age" wiki, without spoiling, I see allusions to Charles Dickens and "The Wizard of Oz" 🤔
Those two novels are in the same "universe," so it's best (though not crucial) to read "Snow Crash" first. I liked them both but "The Diamond Age" more. IIRC, I also read Stephenson's "Cryptonomicon" later on and didn't care for it nearly as much.
I feel the same about the "Dune" novels. Never really felt sufficiently inspired to tackle that saga, especially after seeing Lynch's disastrous film version. But if I find available time I'll give "Neuromancer" a try.
The Iceberg
one of best friends reckons Dune novels are greatest ever, he not one for hype either. Think he almost rioted watching the Dune film!
grif
2021-05-10 21:19:03 UTC
Post by Gracchus
Post by grif
Post by Gracchus
Post by grif
Post by grif
Anyway, I started reading "Neuromancer" and it's an addictive read so far. It was between that and "Dune" (greatest sci-fi novel ever! Or so the hype goes) and I really didn't want to commit to a trilogy of fat "Dune" novels if I were to start reading the first one!
I feel the same about the "Dune" novels. Never really felt sufficiently inspired to tackle that saga, especially after seeing Lynch's disastrous film version. But if I find available time I'll give "Neuromancer" a try.
Oh shit, Frank Herbert wrote 6 "Dune" novels before his death. Yeah, that would be a massive undertaking to read that series now. Interesting tidbit that I came across.
https://winteriscoming.net/2020/02/19/jrr-tolkien-lord-of-the-rings-disliked-dune-intensity/

But who would have thought that reading about Lynch's "Dune" could be so entertaining.

In favor of 1984's "Dune":
https://www.tor.com/2020/02/10/i-love-david-lynchs-dune-in-spite-of-its-faults/

Think this vid encompasses some other articles that I read about the film's faults:

I looked through rst's archives and noticed that Sawfish liked Lynch's version. Ngl, after reading about the film some more, I feel tempted to re-watch it.
Gracchus
2021-05-10 21:45:31 UTC
Post by grif
http://youtu.be/QVzI6Yvyxso
I remember virtually nothing about the film other than obviously lots of sand and Sting looking very gay.
*skriptis
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 2:19:04 PM UTC-7, grif wrote:> On 10/05/2021 01:35, Gracchus wrote: > > On Sunday, May 9, 2021 at 4:12:27 PM UTC-7, grif wrote: > >> Anyway, I started reading "Neuromancer" and it's an addictive read so far. It was between that and "Dune" (greatest sci-fi novel ever! Or so the hype goes) and I really didn't want to commit to a trilogy of fat "Dune" novels if I were to start reading the first one! > > > > I feel the same about the "Dune" novels. Never really felt sufficiently inspired to tackle that saga, especially after seeing Lynch's disastrous film version. But if I find available time I'll give "Neuromancer" a try. > >> Oh shit, Frank Herbert wrote 6 "Dune" novels before his death. Yeah, that would be a massive undertaking to read that series now. Interesting tidbit that I came across. > https://winteriscoming.net/2020/02/19/jrr-tolkien-lord-of-the-rings-disliked-dune-intensity/ > > But who would have thought that reading about Lynch's "Dune" could be so entertaining. > > In favor of 1984's "Dune": > https://www.tor.com/2020/02/10/i-love-david-lynchs-dune-in-spite-of-its-faults/ > Think this vid encompasses some other articles that I read about the film's faults: > http://youtu.be/QVzI6Yvyxso > I looked through rst's archives and noticed that Sawfish liked Lynch's version. Ngl, after reading about the film some more, I feel tempted to re-watch it.I remember virtually nothing about the film other than obviously lots of sand and Sting looking very gay.
I remember russophobia, the villians having a russian name. In a sci-fi movie on a imaginary planet?

The author even picked a surname for which he thought was a Russian one. So clearly russophobic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Harkonnen

"Frank Herbert wanted a harsh-sounding name for the antagonistic family opposing House Atreides in Dune. He came across the name "HÀrkönen" in a California telephone book and thought that it sounded "Soviet", though it is in fact Finnish. In earlier drafts of Dune, the character was called "Valdemar Hoskanner"."

The earlier drafts would have made him Gothic/German. As it is, Vladimir Harkonnen was a Finn from USSR.

His ancestor are Arab/Jewish so there is also Semitophobia as well:

"Vladimir Harkonnen is the direct-line male descendant of the Bashar Abulurd Harkonnen who was banished for cowardice after the Battle of Corrin. The return of House Harkonnen to power generally is ascribed to adroit manipulation of the whale fur market and later consolidation with melange wealth from Arrakis."

The Iceberg
2021-05-11 10:01:09 UTC
Post by *skriptis
[...]
"Frank Herbert wanted a harsh-sounding name for the antagonistic family opposing House Atreides in Dune. He came across the name "Härkönen" in a California telephone book and thought that it sounded "Soviet", though it is in fact Finnish. In earlier drafts of Dune, the character was called "Valdemar Hoskanner"."
you need to tell Titter this so that Dune and by implication Sting can be cancelled!! :O
TT
2021-05-13 10:35:55 UTC
Post by *skriptis
[...]
Weren't you recently praising the film 'Nobody (2021)', which is full of
Russian antagonists... how is that different and why that didn't bother you?

Watched it a couple days ago. Not bad ultra violent John Wick clone. I
almost gave it a 7, because of the considerable entertainment value -
but I think the wimpy looking guy who played the protagonist wasn't the
best possibl
*skriptis
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
I posted Anglin's review because I liked it. I like the stuff he writes. He's a talented writer.

I understood he praised the movie's form, not necessarily the content. As you say there are some holes in the script. I will not skip the film once I get the chance to watch it.

I'm not bothered with russian bashing. It is what it is. You had cold war so Russians/Soviets were the bad guys from US patriotic point of view, understandably, just as Germans before them, and British before all of them.

And in the modern era with Jewish dominated Hollywood, bad guys are the southerners, whites, Christians and all who are anti-globalisation. Groups like that. Russia largely fits all of it, so once again they're the bad guys in such crap movies.

It just gets boring and too obvious eventually.

You guys mentioned the Dune and I simply said it was very russophobic to give a distinct quintessential noble russian name to a fat perv slob homosexual antagonist and the author clearly wanted a Russian surname too for him but due to ignorance, accidentally picked a Finnish one?

That also tells you, both of you are viewed pretty much the same by outsiders.
--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
TT
2021-05-13 11:03:36 UTC
Post by *skriptis
You guys mentioned the Dune and I simply said it was very russophobic to give a distinct quintessential noble russian name to a fat perv slob homosexual antagonist and the author clearly wanted a Russian surname too for him but due to ignorance, accidentally picked a Finnish one?
That also tells you, both of you are viewed pretty much the same by outsiders.
So the author picked Finnish name by accident because he views Finns and
Russians the same?

A good one.

Gracchus
2021-05-10 21:55:01 UTC
Post by grif
I looked through rst's archives and noticed that Sawfish liked Lynch's
version. Ngl, after reading about the film some more, I feel tempted to
re-watch it.
Probably doesn't get better on subsequent viewings. Then again, maybe
with lowered expectations and just enjoying the campy ride.
I think I had Neuromancer in bookshelf at some point... but never
finished it and gave it to someone. Maybe I started reading it on a bad
day or something.
I've had that happen before. In fact, I started the aforementioned "Snow Crash" at least twice before really giving it a chance. In retrospect, I think it was a knee-jerk response to the cyberpunk (or post-cyberpunk) style, which initially struck me as jarringly weird and somewhat pretentious. When I later approached it in a more receptive mood, whole different experience.
grif
I had that once. Joyce's "Ulysses" beat me into submission. It took me several years before I made another attempt.
grif
2021-05-10 22:49:08 UTC
Post by grif
I looked through rst's archives and noticed that Sawfish liked Lynch's version. Ngl, after reading about the film some more, I feel tempted to re-watch it.
Probably doesn't get better on subsequent viewings. Then again, maybe with lowered expectations and just enjoying the campy ride.
I think I had Neuromancer in bookshelf at some point... but never finished it and gave it to someone. Maybe I started reading it on a bad day or something.
"Julius Deane was one hundred and thirty-five years old, his metabolism assiduously warped by a weekly fortune in serums and hormones. His primary hedge against ageing was a yearly pilgrimage to Tokyo, where genetic surgeons reset the code of his DNA, a procedure unavailable in Chiba."
😎
Hmm, some interesting comments here. Talks about "Neuromancer" and "Snow Crash".
https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/8azqc2/am_i_stupid_or_is_neuromancer_really_hard_to_read/