Serena celebrates her 1000th pro match by losing
Gracchus
2021-05-13 15:59:13 UTC
I haven't seen any posts on this. Which probably means Serena losing isn't shocking news anymore...even in early rounds.

Funny, I watched some highlights of the match, and after one extended point where Serena prevails, she gives her opponent (Podoroska) one of her trademark glares that used to strike cold fear into those facing her. But it didn't faze the girl in the least.

Serena doesn't seem to realize the shine on her aura has dulled. I wished Podoroska had responded with, "What are you staring at grandma?"
The Iceberg
2021-05-13 21:05:52 UTC
you don't seem to understand that Serena winning a non-calendar Serena slam is the SAME as and possibly better than Rod Laver's 2 CYGS's put together! so she doesn't have to win any more matches at all!
Gracchus
Oops, sorry, I forgot. :)))
Whisper
2021-05-14 04:23:36 UTC
Post by Gracchus
Post by The Iceberg
Post by Gracchus
I haven't seen any posts on this. Which probably means Serena losing isn't shocking news anymore...even in early rounds.
Funny, I watched some highlights of the match, and after one extended point where Serena prevails, she gives her opponent (Podoroska) one of her trademark glares that used to strike cold fear into those facing her. But it didn't faze the girl in the least.
Serena doesn't seem to realize the shine on her aura has dulled. I wished Podoroska had responded with, "What are you staring at grandma?"
you don't seem to understand that Serena winning a non-calendar Serena slam is the SAME as and possibly better than Rod Laver's 2 CYGS's put together! so she doesn't have to win any more matches at all!
Oops, sorry, I forgot. :)))
You also forgot she won her 1st Serena slam beating her sister Venus in
all 4 finals. Wow what an awesome achievement.
stephenj
2021-05-17 14:06:29 UTC
Post by Whisper
Post by Gracchus
Post by The Iceberg
Post by Gracchus
I haven't seen any posts on this. Which probably means Serena losing
isn't shocking news anymore...even in early rounds.
Funny, I watched some highlights of the match, and after one
extended point where Serena prevails, she gives her opponent
(Podoroska) one of her trademark glares that used to strike cold
fear into those facing her. But it didn't faze the girl in the least.
Serena doesn't seem to realize the shine on her aura has dulled. I
wished Podoroska had responded with, "What are you staring at grandma?"
you don't seem to understand that Serena winning a non-calendar
Serena slam is the SAME as and possibly better than Rod Laver's 2
CYGS's put together! so she doesn't have to win any more matches at all!
Oops, sorry, I forgot. :)))
You also forgot she won her 1st Serena slam beating her sister Venus in
all 4 finals.  Wow what an awesome achievement.
I wonder if anyone else has won all four slams in a row beating a 5-time
Wimbledon champion. I would bet that that Venus's stature is far greater
than that of the collective average of the four players that anyone else
has beaten in their four finals. Probably by a very significant margin.
*skriptis
2021-05-17 14:16:49 UTC
Venus was 2-time Wim/USO champion when she lost those?

Whisper has a point, it's a family project, once Serena started
chasing slams it was obvious Venus was bending over.

Her record is totally inflated on that count alone.

Even Americans felt so:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williams_sisters

During the 2001 Indian Wells Masters tournament in Indian Wells,
California, controversy erupted when Venus Williams withdrew four
minutes prior to her semifinal match with her sister
Serena.

The following day, Serena played Kim Clijsters in the final. Venus
and her father, (coach to her and Serena) Richard Williams were
booed as they made their way to their seats. Serena was booed
intermittently during the final, in which she defeated Clijsters,
4–6, 6–4, 6–2, and even during the presentation ceremony.

Allegations had been made before Venus's withdrawal that Richard
Williams decided who won the matches between his daughters.Those
allegations continued and increased as a result of her
withdrawal.

Of course son of a bitch cried racism:

Richard accused the crowds at Indian Wells of overt racism,
saying, "The white people at Indian Wells, what they've been
wanting to say all along to us finally came out: 'Nigger, stay
away from here, we don't want you here'". However, no other
reports of verbal racism were reported to tournament officials,
although Venus has stated without elaboration, "I heard what he
heard". Oracene Price (mother and coach of Venus and Serena)
accused the crowd of "taking off their hoods".
--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
Gracchus
2021-05-17 16:53:49 UTC
Post by *skriptis
[...]
And journalists reported it without an iota of evidence. Who were these phantom "white people" exactly? Oh, just nameless, faceless racists. Trust the Williams family on this. They always tell the truth.

Meanwhile, Richard calling a player a "tall, ugly white turkey" is perfectly acceptable.
*skriptis
2021-05-17 17:34:42 UTC
On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 7:16:50 AM UTC-7, *skriptis wrote:> Whisper has a point, it's a family project, once Serena started > chasing slams it was obvious Venus was bending over. > > Her record is totally inflated on that count alone. > > > Even Americans felt so: > > https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williams_sisters > > During the 2001 Indian Wells Masters tournament in Indian Wells, > California, controversy erupted when Venus Williams withdrew four > minutes prior to her semifinal match with her sister > Serena. > > The following day, Serena played Kim Clijsters in the final. Venus > and her father, (coach to her and Serena) Richard Williams were > booed as they made their way to their seats. Serena was booed > intermittently during the final, in which she defeated Clijsters, > 4–6, 6–4, 6–2, and even during the presentation ceremony. > > Allegations had been made before Venus's withdrawal that Richard > Williams decided who won the matches between his daughters.Those > allegations continued and increased as a result of her > withdrawal. > > > > Of course son of a bitch cried racism: > Richard accused the crowds at Indian Wells of overt racism, > saying, "The white people at Indian Wells, what they've been > wanting to say all along to us finally came out: 'Nigger, stay > away from here, we don't want you here'". However, no other > reports of verbal racism were reported to tournament officials, > although Venus has stated without elaboration, "I heard what he > heard". Oracene Price (mother and coach of Venus and Serena) > accused the crowd of "taking off their hoods". And journalists reported it without an iota of evidence. Who were these phantom "white people" exactly? Oh, just nameless, faceless racists. Trust the Williams family on this. They always tell the truth.Meanwhile, Richard calling a player a "tall, ugly white turkey" is perfectly acceptable.
So according to you we can rank these?

• Nigger - universally unacceptable

• white turkey - acceptable in US mainstream, you disagree with that

• russian puss - acceptable totally?

Quite schizophrenic imo.

Otoh my view is that it's all about free speech so you should say
whatever you like in rst or in the crowds.

Of course I'd expect TV commentators not to use such terms, just
as I would expect them to refrain from saying stuff such as "he
played like a coward, moron etc".

But we are discussing locker room talk here.

As you see my point, I don't really have an issue with you
insulting Shapovalov's Russiasness (even though it's wrong since
he's much more Jewish and you wouldn't go after that).

I meant to highlight the fact that you did the same (russian puss)
what Richard Williams did (white turkey).
--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
Gracchus
2021-05-17 17:59:30 UTC
Post by *skriptis
[...]
Richard Williams was a public figure once his daughter become one, and he went on public record with "tall, ugly white turkey." This was aimed at his target (Spirlea) and the media chose how they wanted to report this insult with an obviously racial element. At the same time, he also--with no basis--accused Spirlea of bumping Venus because she was black.

So yes, there's a big difference between that incident and stuff we toss around on RST. I don't think Shapavolov would lose any sleep over being called a Russian puss on a sports discussion forum. But if Toni Nadal said it, there might be issues. :)

That's not to say we're unaccountable for our words to each other on RST. In a way, we are still going on record. But mostly it's a very different thing.

And I still think "Russian puss" is fine.
stephenj
2021-05-18 02:48:21 UTC
Post by *skriptis
Whisper has a point, it's a family project, once Serena started
chasing slams it was obvious Venus was bending over.
Doesn't make sense to em. If anything, I imagine Serena would be
deferential to Venus as the older sister.

Serena had a far more difficult path to her slam runs than anyone else
has, that's what the evidence says.
Whisper
2021-05-18 04:41:28 UTC
Post by stephenj
Post by *skriptis
Whisper has a point, it's a family project, once Serena started
chasing slams it was obvious Venus was bending over.
Doesn't make sense to em. If anything, I imagine Serena would be
deferential to Venus as the older sister.
Serena had a far more difficult path to her slam runs than anyone else
has, that's what the evidence says.
Hard to be hellbent on beating your sibling imo.

PeteWasLucky
2021-05-17 14:53:13 UTC
I haven't seen any posts on this. Which probably means Serena losing isn't shocking news anymore...even in early rounds.Funny, I watched some highlights of the match, and after one extended point where Serena prevails, she gives her opponent (Podoroska) one of her trademark glares that used to strike cold fear into those facing her. But it didn't faze the girl in the least.Serena doesn't seem to realize the shine on her aura has dulled. I wished Podoroska had responded with, "What are you staring at grandma?"
Too much love for Serena :)
--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----